Monday, May 24, 2010

Marx, Engels, Grimm, and Grimm

While trudging through a flimsy used copy of Grimm fairy tales that I got in Amsterdam a million years ago, it occurred to me the brothers were almost contemporaries of Marx and Engels. It looks like more of a scholar than myself will have to do the requisite digging in some musty Bohemian archive, but I'm tempted:

A dialectical materialist analysis of the celebrated folktales, jotted down in some tattered notebook by a sleepless Marx? A lively correspondence, a debate, about their political significance in mid-19th century Germany? Some fan mail from a young and eager Engels, stowed away and ignored in some publisher's ancient archives? A chance meeting on the streets of Hamburg?? A COUPLE OF BEERS??? A HEATED POLITICAL DEBATE AND FALLING OUT, ALL IN OLD NORSE?????

Tell me there's something out there. Look!



You guys should totally hang out!

No comments: